Sunday, October 31, 2010

Arizona


Our next stop was in Tucson.  We stayed there overnight.  We tried to find a McDonalds with a playland on Tuesday night, but no luck, so we went home and went to sleep and I went to Starbucks to work the next morning.  I didn't end up taking any pictures and only got one of us on our way out (and the one of Judah being crabby in the morning).  We were headed to Camp Verde as a stop over on our way to the Grand Canyon. 

 

On the way there, we stopped at t rest stop.  It was beautiful!  I though it would be a perfect backdrop for a nice picture of the kids.  this is what we ended up with...



 They did have fun, though, and were able to stretch their little legs.




Oh, no!  Judah!


Sawyer to the rescue.



 When we got to Camp Verde, I made dinner.  It ended up being an homage to the colors of the southwest.  How fitting...


After dinner, the kids practiced for trick or treating.


And I updated the blog.


Creepy, right?


Then the kids did some work.



Let me preface this next part by saying how much I love my babies.  I adore them.  I want more of them.  I wouldn't trade my life with them for anything.  That being said, I miss sleep.  My kids aren't big fans of sleep.  This trip has only accentuated that.  There is always something much more exciting to be doing than sleeping.  At night, for Beans, that is nursing.  Saywer wakes up eight, ten, fifteen times a night to nurse.  Lots of times I don't even notice.  Sometimes I do.  Sometimes I get pissed and say "this is ridiculous, why are we even in bed, it's not like anyone is sleeping" and then I make a big deal of traipsing him out onto the couch bed and not sleeping.  We are usually then both back to sleep within minutes.  What gets me through these nights of insanity is remembering that soon he won't want me to snuggle him close and kiss his head as I listen to his breathing shift to sleep, so I better take advantage of it now, even if it happens waaaaaaaayyyyyy more than I wish it would.   


The next morning, after I took the obligatory shot of our spot, we headed to Montezuma's castle, which happened to be right down the road. 


It was a national park at which you could view this home built into the rocks by farmers thousands of years ago.  It was pretty cool.


There were a bunch of school groups there.  Judah took a particular liking to one group of boys who were climbing trees and rocks--imagine that.  When their group leader went to take their picture, Judah insisted on being in it.  I was laughing so hard I was crying.  I still laugh every time I think about it.  Judah. 


He also wanted to read every sign that we came across.  I think this one said.  "Watch out for rattle snakes.  No chupacabras allowed."



 After our strenuous hike, we needed to stop for some parking lot fry bread.  Yummers!


This was the sign for our RV park that night, isn't it cute!


After visiting Montezauma's castle and chowing down on fry bread, we hit the road once again.  Next stop...the Grand Canyon!

3 comments:

  1. I just spit and chorted I was laughing at Judah's picture with the school boys.
    Sorry I missed your call today. On our way home from the Lodge and Darla was finally sleeping. I know you can relate! Didn't get home until 7. Missed trick or treating, but nobody egged our house while we were gone, so that's good. I hope you guys had a fun Halloween. Can't wait to see more pix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha...Judah with the big boys. I bet he felt he was just part of the group...not a foot smaller :) what a cutie. and Jen, I am sorry...I was a human paci too. I still remember, all to well, the extreme fatigue I used to feel. I loved nursing and I love my kids too, but what Maggie did was not nursing...I was a human paci! Good luck friend! Someday we will be old and wrinkled and our daughters or daughters-in-laws will be complaining of the same things and sadly we will probably look at them with envy. Life is odd isn't it! I don't think I fully appreciated it until I had kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. you are like my morning paper :) I love waking up opening the computer and reading about your life! Thanks again for posting your stories and fantastic photos (I especially love how you take pictures of random daily life!)

    ReplyDelete