Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mobile, AL

In Mobile, we stayed at a beautiful, woody, city park campground. The sites were private and there was a lot of space to play.



But the sites were kind of unlevel, so Mark used his rigged up leveler to straighten us out. (Bill, he thought you might be interested in that bit of information.)


Then he checked the engine. We have been having some leaking. Mark knows what it is from, but he isn't here right now, so I will have to get beck to you on from where later. All I know is that it is from the same thing that caused us to break down on the side of the highway in L.A., but Mark says it is just a really, really, really slow leak, so he will just keep on top of the fluids and we should be fine (famous last words, right?). 


While Mark worked on the RV, Judah got out his tent, climbed inside, and did some work of his own. I think it looks like he is cooking up hallucinogens for his hippie cult commune, Mark thinks he looks like he is doing some weird terrorist torture stuff.   


...and there's Beans.

This picture seriously kills me, but, as I am in an activity center full of senior ladies doing low impact aerobics right now, I am trying to hold it together. 


After the tent experiments, we walked to the playground. It was infested with giant bees, so we couldn't play, but we did see a lizard friend.


That evening, after naps, we decided to take a driving tour of Mobile. We headed downtown and kept seeing people parking in huge makeshift lots and looking festive. We decided to check it out. We found a place to park and followed the crowds to a downtown Mardi Gras Parade! It was amazing. Seriously. The floats were beautiful and intricate (I was too busy dodging beads to get much documentation), the music was loud and dancy, the dancers were young and adorable, and the swag being thrown was sparkly and plentiful. The kids were in heaven. I have honestly never seem them so enraptured with something, ever. It was beautiful to watch. Beans was a bead whore, and Judah was just amazed that people were actually throwing toys to him.

 



Everyone around us wanted to give their loot to the boys, so we ended up with quite a haul. And, they told us that there was going to be another one the next night!


Judah tried out all his new stuff.



And Beans piled on the beads. 





The next day we followed the always brilliant (and Mobile native) Mark Peterson's advice and headed to Dauphin Island. It was raining on and off, so it was a perfect day for a drive. The drive was beautiful and by the time we got the the boat landing and Fort Ganies, the sun had popped out. We checked out the fort.
 

and then walked over to the water.



Isn't this the sweetest? I know I have hormone poising right now. I know. But I am over the top in love with my kids. The kind of love that makes me want to explode, laugh, and cry at the same time. I always love them, but right now all I want to do is sit around and squeeze them. As we were walking at the boat landing, Judah went ahead and walked down one of the piers. When he got to the end of the it, he took his shoes off and sat down with his feet hanging over the edge. Then he just sat there looking at the birds. When he saw me coming, he scooted over on the pier so that I would sit next to him. Just remembering the sweetness of that moment makes me cry--arobicizing seniors be damned.   



After the sweetness, we discovered something amazing--hermit crabs! I know, whateves, but I had never even thought of hermit crabs existing outside of fish tanks. And here they were, piles of them, in the ocean! It was crazy. We stood there and freaked out about it for a long time.



After we calmed down about the crabs, we went to check out the beach, but on the way it started pouring, so we just drove down the rest of the island and headed home. 

That night, we headed to the parade. It was just as awesome as the night before!



The floats this time were even more amazing. They were all spooky and supernatural. I risked bead injury to get some pictures.  





Again, we came home with quite a haul.


There is nothing more fun than digging like a doggie in a pile of beads and toys, obviously.



We had a serious blast in Mobile. We went to parades, saw hermit crabs, got to tell a bunch of people that I am pregnant, and all in luscious 75* humidity. But alligators were calling to us, so we trucked on to Gulf Shores. 

No comments:

Post a Comment